The Android technology is being used in the latest smart mobile devices. The goal of this lab/course is for the students to understand the android computing platform and develop applications for mobile devices using the latest Android Software Development Kit (SDK). Working with Android applications, the students will gain experience with an interesting technology in the fast moving market segment of Internet-enabled phones.
- Download/configure the Android SDK. Introduction to Android development tools for application development. Getting familiar with the Android emulator (Ref  chapters 2 and 3, Ref  chapters 1 and 2, Ref  chapter 2).
- Creating User Interfaces: using XML-based layouts (comparison with java powered layouts), basic widgets (labels, check boxes, buttons, input boxes, etc), containers (widget collections), input method framework, drop-down menus, fonts, etc. Introduction to different layout methods (Ref  chapters 4 to 7, Ref  chapter 4).
- Design examples using Android SDK and Eclipse framework.
- Specifications of course «projects».
- Using resources: string resources, layout resources, etc, working with arbitrary XML Resource files, working with Assets, etc (Ref  chapter 3 and Ref  chapter 20).
- Content Providers: using and building a content provider (Ref , chapters 25 to 27).
- Creating intent filters (Ref , chapter 17, Ref  chapter 5).
- Location based services, creating map-based activities, audio, video and using the camera (Ref , chapters 8 and 11).
- Dealing with real devices, handling multiple screen sizes and resolutions, etc (Ref.  chapter 19, and Ref  chapters 36, 37, 38).
- Mark L. Murphy, Beginning Android 2: Begin the journey toward your own successful Android 2 applications, Apress 2010.
- Sayed Y. Hashimi, Satya Komatineni, Dave MacLean: Pro Android 2: Covers Google’s Android 2 Platform including advanced topics such as OpenGL, Widgets, Text to Speech, Multi-Touch, and Titanium Mobile, Apress 2010.
- Reto Meier, Professional Android 2 Application Development, Wrox Programmer to Programmer, Wiley Publishing, 2010.
- F. Ableson, C. Collins, R. Sen, “Unlocking Android: A Developer’s Guide”, Manning Publications, 2009.
- E. Burnette, “Hello, Android (3rd edition): Introducing Google’s Mobile Development Platform”, Pragmatic Bookshelf, 2010.
- M. L. Murphy, “Android Programming Tutorials”, 3rd Edition, CommonsWare, 2010.
- J. Steele, N. To, “The Android Developer’s Cookbook: Building Applications with the Android SDK”, Addison-Wesley Professional, 2010
- P.J. Deitel, H. M. Deitel, A. Deitel, M. Morgano “Android for Programmers: An App-Driven Approach”, Prentice Hall, July 2011.